1. Be prepared. Start planning ahead of time giving yourself at least 8 weeks prior to your moving date. Make "To-Do" list and "Checklists" to make sure you don't forget anything. Schedule utility connections at your new home and schedule disconnections at your old home. File your change of address, letting family and friends know your new address and phone number.
2. Track down important papers ahead of time. Gather all special papers, like birth certificates, insurance policies, passports, auto registration, etc. Keep them in organized folders so you have easy access to them once you arrive.
3. Don't pack anything you don't need. Make a few different piles to keep things organized, like throw away, keep, donate and sell. Only keep what you plan to use at your new home. If you haven't used something in a year, chances are it won't be used in your new home. Calculate the cost of moving larger items, it is worth moving or instead selling it and buying it in the new location?
4. Invest in Good Packing Supplies. Since your valuables will be making a long trip, it is important to bubble wrap all of your breakable items and use moving blankets on the furniture. The boxes you pack will be holding some of your most valuable items, so packing tight and paying a little extra for quality packing supplies will be beneficial in the long run.
5. Research your new location. Do your research ahead of time and find out where there's good places to eat and shop. Find places close by like grocery stores, pharmacies and banks. This will save you time by not having to search for places once you get there.